New Yorkers Against Religion-Based Bigotry
Project: Against Local Bigotry
Links to other sites
Instances of religion-based bigotry here in New York City
The two instances described below occurred before New Yorkers Against Religion-Based Bigotry began serious activism and outreach in September 2008. We'll be keeping an eye out for similar issues in the future.
- NYC Sikhs fight back against bullying in public schools
- The witchhunt against Debbie Almontaser and the KGIA
As of September 2008, NYC's Sikh community played a key role in winning something that other religious minorites, and GLBT people, have long needed too: a serious anti-bullying policy in NYC public schools.
- Mayor Ends Resistance on Anti-Bullying Initiative by Andy Humm, Gay City News, September 4, 2008
- Sikh Coalition and NYC Department of Education Announce New Chancellor's Regulation to Prevent Bias-Based Harassment and Bullying in Schools on the the Sikh Coalition's website, which also describes various incidents of harassment. Another copy of the Sikh Coalition's Press release on Sikhnet.
- City Sikhs Rally to Release Agenda & Report Demanding Civil Rights, Reuters, Wednesday, April 9, 2008
- Allow Turbans, Beards In office, Sikhs Tell NYPD By Sujeet Rajan, Indian Express, reprinted in Gotham Gazette, 22 March 2002. Article also discusses various kinds of harassment faced by Sikhs after 9/11/2001.
- Sikh Film Festival Kicks Off Heritage Week by Jennifer 8. Lee, New York Times, October 3, 2008 - see the section on "Warrior Saints," starting in the fourth paragraph. "Warrior Saints" is a documentary about the NYC Sikh community's fight against various kinds of harassment.
- Khalsa Kids - website for young Sikhs here in the U.S.A.
The following story is probably not over with yet, and is one of the sorts of thing we'll be keeping an eye out for: Muslims unjustly persecuted in the name of opposing Islamism. (See NYARBB's position against both Islamism and anti-Muslim bigotry.)
- New York Times articles about Debbie Almontaser
- Democracy Now radio program: Ousted NYC Arabic School Principal Debbie Almontaser Speaks Out on the New McCarthyism & Rightwing Media Attacks
- Communities in Support of KGIA (Khalil Gibran International Academy)